Monday, January 14, 2008

$200 per barrel

It's no secret that the price of oil will forever increase in price, and as a direct (potentially exponential) relationship to the amount of oil left to be had.

So how are you preparing for the increase in the price/disappearance of oil and all of its related direct and indirect outcomes? (remembering that a realistic estimate to remaining oil reserves is only 40 years)

What is your vision of the next say 10 years? Do we succeed at reworking our completely petroleum based lifestyles into something more sustainable and maintain our luxurious lifestyles, or are we in total disarray from an absolute economic and social collapse. I guess you could be allowed to say some where in between, but whats the fun in that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live debt free. Community living (where the necessities of life: food, school, shopping are within walking distance). Own vehicles outright. These are a few that come to mind.

Darren said...

Hopefully you won't need those vehicles anyways, cause the gasoline might cost more than the car itself.

I also would like to live in a small community, off the grid, with all the necessities close by...no more large corporations.

But thats just a start.

Anonymous said...

So I'm read your question as what is my vision for the nation in the next 10 years.

Yeah, I'm boring - I think a little of both. I don't think anything will actually be done about the situation until it's too late. And I think our generation is due for some kind of catastrophic event. I'm sure cheery eh?

As for us.... I intend to be driving a hybrid at the very least.. it's a start right?

Nikki said...

I think we'll always need vehicles. It's how we travel to see family, explore the world. I'm all for owning a hybrid or electric car and I'm prepared for cars always being a big black money hole. It's the cost of heating our home in the winter that really worries me. Geothermal is pretty popular up here...might embrace that.

Anonymous said...

There is no real shortage. The future has already been invented but there's NO way that oil companies and the government (especially the Alberta government that is making billions out of oil) are going to allow the new technology to replace oil before the crude runs out. Then again, oil can come from other sources, not just from crude. I think that it's naive of us to think that with all the new technological inventions today, that man hasn't already found a replacement for the traditional highly inefficient combustion engines that run our cars. You can bet your boots and your future that the future is already in place and just biding its time for the day when the traditional oil companies can turn into energy companies that can utilize this new resource, and it won't be cheap, they will have found another way to get your dollar. Am I cynical, yes, but only because the natural human trait is to protect its resources and its dollars.